I have been overwhelmed by the amount of support that I have received from family, friends and you (!) my dear readers. Thank you for your congratulatory emails and encouraging words as I embark on the next, very exciting stage of my life. This will be the final post in my Graduate School Update series, symbolizing the closing of a significant chapter.
It’s difficult to not feel overly emotional when I talk about the past year. Of all the lessons I learned, the most important was to believe in myself. To believe that I made the right choice to quit my stable desk job to pursue a career I am passionate about. To believe that the hours I put in studying, researching and wondering were all worth it.
I hope that my story inspires you to pursue your own passions. If you need support or encouragement, I will always be here. Here’s what I say to following your dreams: go for it!
April was a big month for graduate school updates. I made the big announcement that I’ll be moving to Seattle. Shortly after, life threw a few curve balls and I was admitted into the MSPH Nutrition program at John’s Hopkins University. And then a week ago, I received a call from UNC saying I had moved off the waiting list for the MPH/RD program. Talk about a total shocker and a great example of why being on the waitlist is not a bad thing.
It only took me a few days to decide to turn UNC down. Although UNC is ranked as the top MPH/RD program, I had to realize that UNC wasn’t my top program. Never in a million years did I ever think I would reject an offer from UNC, especially after I wrote this post last year. But that’s the funny thing about life – your preferences change. Your dreams change. YOU change.
April was the perfect conclusion to my graduate school journey. In a way, I accomplished absolutely everything that I hoped to. Now, I get to start a brand new chapter full of its own beautiful challenges.
Final application update:
- University of Minnesota: Accepted into the MPH Nutrition program, wait listed for the RD portion. By the time I declined admission, I had moved from #8 to #2 on the waitlist.
- University of Washington: Accepted into the MPH/RD Nutrition program from the waitlist
- Johns Hopkins University: Accepted into the MSPH Nutrition program
- UNC – Chapel Hill: Accepted into the MPH/RD Nutrition program from the waitlist
- Colorado State University: Accepted into the M.S. Nutrition program
- Planning my cross-country road trip to Seattle in September
- Finding a place to live in Seattle
- Deciding whether I want to sell my entire life and rebuy everything in Seattle, or if I want to pack it up in a UHaul
- Two summer courses: Food Science (← which will involve taking pictures of myself in the kitchen cooking up concoctions) and Human Anatomy + Physiology II (UW, I love you, but you are the only school that requires this class!)
- Crossing everything off of my DC Bucket List before I go
- Teaching as many spinning class as I can this summer
Moving forward, I will be updating this page with all of my school-related posts. And once again, THANK YOU for your support! It’s been really fun meeting/talking to lots of blog friends about this exciting transition. XO